On Thursday, I’m excited to venture to the 25th annual South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival. Dubbed “spring break for geeks”, the yearly gathering in Austin, Texas attracts creatives from across the spectrum of digital interactive, music, and film. There’s an explosion of spin-off conferences, non-sanctioned events, and boozfest parties that add to the overall geekgasm.
Since it’s my first time at SXSW, I feel like a kid before his first day of school – a combination of excitement, anxiousness, and that wet squishy feeling in the seat of your pants. Although my proposal to speak at SXSW wasn’t selected, I’ve got a handful of gigs on the chittlin’ circuit.
Interested in a #Storytelling Meetup?
Join us Saturday, March 12 from 5:30pm-7pm at Mugshots Bar on 407 E 7th St. It’s going to be an informal happy hour, just blocks away from the Convention Center. Co-hosted by @getstoried, @Story_Jon, @ErikMichielsen, @NickKellet and other raconteurs to be announced. Please RSVP at Plancast.
Do you believe storytelling is the heart of the conversation? If you’re a creative or change-maker who embraces a narrative mojo and mindset, then join us for a chance to talk story. We’ll be hanging in the outdoor patio, at back at Mugshots.
In addition to the #Storytelling Meetup, if you’d like to just hang and talk story during SXSW, drop me a line at @getstoried.. I’ll be in Austin Thursday-Monday. Still finalizing your dinner dance card for Thursday and Saturday? I’m also looking for good food and conversation.
Storytelling (and related programming) to attend:
There’s some great SXSW storytelling-related sessions to enjoy:
- Fri, 2pm – Writing Workshop with Betty Draper
- Fri, 7-9pm – 140 Conference SXSW Cocktail Party
- Sat, 9:30am – Brave New World: Debating Brands’ Role as Publishers
- Sat, 11am – Motion Paintings, Visual Storytelling and Deaf Film
- Sat, 12:30pm – Tell and Sell Your Story (Book Publishing)
- Sat, 3:30pm – Storytelling through Advertising: Engaging Players in Online Games
- Sat, 3:30pm – One Story, Many Angles The Multi-Platform Pitch
- Sat, 3:30pm – 140 Conference: Birth of the #BackChannel
- Sat, 4pm – 140 Conference: My Family’s Incredible Story
- Sat, 5:30-7pm – #Storytelling Meetup at Mugshots Bar
- Sun, 11am – Hoax or Transmedia? The Ethics of Pervasive Fiction
- Sun, 11am – Transmedia Storytelling: Constructing Compelling Characters
- Sun, 12:30pm – Unexpected non-fiction storytelling (w/ Ze Frank, NFB & IDFA DocLab)
- Sun, 3:30pm – The Art of Immersion: Tron (with Frank Rose, and others)
- Sun, 5pm – Transmedia Artists Guild: New Media Needs New Advocacy
- Sun, 7pm – Transmedia Meetup at Driskill Hotel (following 5pm panel)
- Mon, 9:30am – Tweeting On Weekends: Are We Becoming Socially Anti-Social?
- Mon, 12:30pm – Interactive Narratives: Creating the Future of Storytelling
- Tues, 12:30pm – Career Transparency: Why Personal Branding Is Bullshit
If you know of a storytelling-related event at SXSW not listed above, please let me know @getstoried, and I’ll update this listing.
Where You Can Find Me Talking Story
The first two events are solo presentations, and the last two are panels. #Storytelling Meetup on Saturday! Social Media Clubhouse is streamed on Ustream. (all times are U.S. Central Time Zone)
- Fri, 8am - Who Taught You How to Write your Bio: Character Trumps Credentials (Solo) – Rise Austin Conference
- Fri, 12pm - Truth in Storytelling Don’t be a Digital Douche (Solo) - Watch on Ustream! - Social Media Clubhouse
- Sat, 2pm - Everybody’s a Storyteller: Story DNA in the Age of Social Media (Panel with@Story_Jon @ClayHebert) - Watch on Ustream! Social Media Clubhouse
- Sat, 3pm - Say it in Pixels! Your Cause-Driven Digital Visual Story (Meetup) – Beacon Lounge
- Sat, 5:30-7pm – #Storytelling Meetup – at Mugshots
SXSW is a giant non-stop party, with too many events to turn your liver black and blue. If you want to see the dizzying world of possibilities, check out all the fun debauchery on Plancast. I’ll likely skip out on most of the late night schmoozing. #140Conf, CopyBlogger, #SocEnt, TownHoller, Social Media Clubhouse, Samsung Blogger Lounge, and Beacon Lounge are definite hangout spots. I’m sharing a hotel room with Jon Thomas, from Story Worldwide, and excited to deepen our connection. I’ll be leaning on a few other friends to show me the ropes as well: Brian Reich, Jim Hopkinson, Eve, Jason Seiden, and Erik Michielsen (thanks in advance).
Would love to equally hear from you and connect our worlds. Lets talk!
Join us for StoryU Online: Undeniable Story — an 8-week program where you learn our six-step storytelling framework. Begins Oct 6!